No No say it ain't so ! If they are original cones don't go anywhere near them... I may not recover ! :wink2:
Printable View
Fear not...no paint shall don these speakers, recones though they may be.
N1285s w/ new binding posts installed.
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/38.jpg
One is already playing along with one 604. What an odd combination. I walked back and forth across the room from one to the other. When I was in front of the A7s I thought, 'yep, they definitely sound better. Then when I got to the 604s I changed my mind. And back and forth. Hum...
I think I'd have to give the A7s the edge due to the "rear port technology".
Locked and loaded...
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...2013/06/39.jpg
Big sound...
So after a few hours listening I can conservatively say...Wow! They come together much better than the A6s. And even at only 9' I can taste more than a hint of sound stage. I think I have to try the 288s again and change the XO to 500Hz for comparison.
Question: Being that the horns are mounted on separate boards and I have the ability to slide them back and forth, how do I measure the delay. Right now I have them back a bit, with the VCs approximately aligned vertically. They sound wonderful. I guess I can go by ear, but I wouldn't mind trying a bit more empirical approach.
BTW, I could swear I caught a glimpse the 515Bs smiling, happy to have their hearts beating once again.
Think you need a bigger HF horn for wider dispersion.
I've been looking. Although I don't know if in my application whether wider will be better. The speakers are only 9' apart and I'm 9' away. Wider might just bounce things off the wall more.
I'm still stewing about missing out on those free 1005Bs by a day. I'll take that disappointment to the grave.
But I'm open to suggestions as to what anyone/everyone thinks might be my best choice of horn.
Understandable--sometimes the "best" tunings are done by ear anyways. After all, successfully tuning them by ear means the tuning works well with your room/acoustics. In this day of digital tuners, I still like to tune my guitar by ear. ;) You may have hit a home run first try -- right out of the gate.
I don't know about a home run, but I'm rockin' the whole neighborhood at the moment. I hope they like the Dregs. I know my "A7"s do.